Ibotta Recruit and Employee Privacy Notice
Effective date January 1, 2024; last updated March, 2022.
Ibotta is committed to respecting your privacy and protecting your personal data. We here define “personal data” as information that directly identifies an individual or that makes an individual identifiable when combined with other information.
This Recruit and Employee Privacy Notice (“Privacy Notice”) describes how we handle and protect your personal data in connection with Ibotta’s recruiting processes and programs and as a current or former Ibotta employee. In case of a conflict between this Privacy Notice and applicable law, applicable law will govern.
This Privacy Notice only applies to the personal data of job applicants, potential candidates for employment, those who participate in our recruiting programs and events, employees and former employees. This personal data is submitted directly to Ibotta through the online application process and follow-up communications and/or through alternative channels (e.g., via professional recruiting firms), as well as data submitted by employees in the course of onboarding and employment. Ibotta may also collect and process your personal data regarding employment if we engage in due diligence related to a potential corporate acquisition of your current employer (e.g., if you are part of the senior leadership team of a target company).
By submitting your personal data to us, you acknowledge that:
- You have read and understood this Privacy Notice and agree to the use of your personal data as set out herein.
- You are not required to provide any requested information to us, but your failure to do so may result in our not being able to continue your candidacy for the job for which you have applied or your employment at Ibotta.
- All of your representations are true and correct to the best of your knowledge and belief, and you have not knowingly omitted any related information of an adverse nature. Providing any inaccurate information may make you ineligible for employment or be grounds for termination of your employment if we learn of inaccurate information after you are hired.
- This Privacy Notice does not form part of any contract of employment.
Personal data we collect
We usually collect personal data directly from you when you apply for a role with us, such as your name, address, contact information, photographs and videos, work and educational history, achievements, identity documents, and test results. If you receive an offer from us, we may then conduct a background check and, to the extent permitted by applicable law, we may also collect personal data related to criminal offenses and proceedings. We also collect similar personal data about you from third parties, such as professional recruiting firms, your references, prior employers, Ibotta employees with whom you have interviewed or who recommended your candidacy, and, to the extent permitted by applicable law, employment background check providers. We may also collect personal data about you online to the extent that you have chosen to make this information publicly available. For example, we may find your profile on professional social media websites (such as LinkedIn) and contact you about suitable roles with us.
For purposes of this policy, “sensitive personal data” is a subset of personal data that includes ethnicity, health, trade union membership, philosophical beliefs, sexual orientation, and other categories as prescribed by law. We may collect sensitive personal data about a candidate to the extent permitted to do so by applicable laws (e.g., U.S. equal opportunity laws) and to support our efforts to create an inclusive and diverse work environment. We may also collect sensitive personal data to the extent that a candidate chooses, without being asked, to voluntarily disclose it during the recruiting process. Under limited circumstances and to the extent permitted by applicable law, we may also collect sensitive personal information relating to health and medical characteristics, such as status of infection, test results, and vaccination status, to address our public health and workplace safety obligations and to protect Ibotta and its employees, clients, and third parties.
Use of your personal data
We collect and use your personal data for legitimate human resources and business management reasons, including:
- identifying and evaluating candidates for potential employment, as well as for future roles that may become available;
- maintaining records in relation to recruiting and hiring;
- ensuring compliance with legal requirements, including those relating to public health and workplace safety;
- fostering our diversity and inclusion programs and practices;
- conducting background checks, including, to the extent permitted by applicable law, and if you receive an offer from us, criminal history checks;
- protecting our legal rights to the extent authorized or permitted by law;
- protecting the workplace and communicating with medical professionals, law enforcement, or other public authorities in the event of an emergency or public health event, such as when the health or safety of you or one or more individuals may be endangered, including, to the extent permitted by applicable law, sharing data about the status of an infection, test results, and vaccination status.
We may also use your personal data for Ibotta analytics purposes, including in aggregated or pseudonymized form, to improve our recruitment and hiring process and augment our ability to attract successful candidates.
Legal basis for processing your personal data
Our processing of your personal data for the purposes mentioned above is based:
- in part, on our legitimate business interests in evaluating your application to manage our relationship with you, to ensure that we recruit appropriate employees, and to evaluate and maintain the efficacy of our recruiting process more generally; and in operating our business and protecting Ibotta and its employees, clients, and third parties;
- in part, on our performing contractual and precontractual measures relating to our potential and/or actual employment relationship with you;
- in part, on our complying with applicable law with regard to personal data necessary to satisfy our legal and regulatory obligations, including with regard to public health and workplace safety; and
- in part, on your consent, if we offer you the opportunity to participate in our optional recruiting programs or if we collect sensitive personal data for legally permitted purposes other than compliance with our legal obligations regarding public health and workplace safety.
If you receive an offer from us, we may conduct a background check on you or instruct a third party to do so on our behalf. Background screening will only be done where permitted by law and to the extent necessary and proportionate to the role that you are being offered. A background check will only involve criminal background data to the extent permitted by law. If background screening is required, you may be contacted by a third-party background screening service provider to request authorization for the release of your information, and at that time you will be provided with further information about the process and what personal data it might involve.
Data recipients and international data transfers
We use third-party service providers to provide a recruiting software system. We also share your personal data with other third-party service providers that may assist us in identifying and recruiting talent, administering and evaluating pre-employment screening and testing, and improving our recruiting practices.
We maintain processes designed to help ensure that any processing of personal data by third-party service providers is consistent with this Privacy Notice and protects the confidentiality, availability, and integrity of your personal data in compliance with applicable law.
We may disclose or transfer your personal data in the event of a re-organization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, or other transfer or disposition of all or any portion of our business.
If you accept an offer of employment with us, any relevant personal data collected during your pre-employment period will become part of your personnel records and will be retained in accordance with applicable law and Ibotta’s data retention policies.
If we do not employ you, we may nevertheless continue to retain and use your personal data for a period of time for system administration purposes, to consider you for potential future roles, and to perform research or internal testing. Thereafter, we retain a minimal amount of your personal data to record your recruiting activity with us.
To the extent that we have collected personal data, including sensitive personal data, for the specific purpose of fulfilling our legal obligations regarding public health or workplace safety, we will retain that data for the duration of those legal obligations.
We may want to remain in contact with you and consider you for future employment opportunities. In such an event, we will seek your consent to include you in one of our recruiting programs that provides you ways to further learn about and stay in touch with Ibotta, either prior to or after you formally apply for a job opportunity. Participation in these recruiting programs is optional.
We use generally accepted standards of technical and operational security to secure your personal data. Only authorized personnel of Ibotta and our third-party service providers are permitted to access personal data, and these employees and third-party service providers are required to treat this information as confidential. Despite these precautions, we cannot guarantee that unauthorized persons will not obtain access to your personal data.
We take reasonable steps that are designed to keep your personal data accurate, complete, and up-to-date for the purposes for which it is collected and used. We also have implemented measures that are designed to help ensure that our processing of your personal data complies with this Privacy Notice and applicable law.
In accordance with applicable law, you may have one or more of the following rights:
- a right to request information about the personal data we hold about you, including the details of how we use that information and who we share it with;
- a right to request a copy of the personal data that we hold about you;
- a right to amend or rectify your personal data if any of the information held about you is incorrect or out of date;
- a right to portability of your personal data;
- a right to request erasure of your personal data;
- a right to demand that we cease the processing of your personal data or that we restrict the processing of your personal data;
- a right to withdraw your consent to the processing of your personal data, to the extent our processing relies on your consent as the lawful basis for processing. This right may not apply if there are other legal justifications to continue processing or we need to retain certain personal data where required or permitted under applicable law; and/or
- a right to provide us with instructions as to the processing of your personal data in case of death.
To help protect your privacy and security, we will take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting you access to your personal data. We will make reasonable attempts to promptly investigate, comply with, or otherwise respond to your requests as may be required by applicable law. Depending upon the circumstances and the request, we may not be permitted to provide access to personal data or otherwise fully comply with your request; for example, where producing your information may reveal the identity of someone else. We reserve the right to charge an appropriate fee for complying with your request(s) where allowed by applicable law, and/or to deny your requests where, in Ibotta’s discretion, they may be unfounded, excessive, or otherwise unacceptable under applicable law.
Social Media Tools
Our application process allows you to provide us with relevant personal data from information you have on third-party websites (such as LinkedIn, Google Drive and Dropbox). If you choose to incorporate your personal data from third-party websites, it will be used in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
Cookies and other tracking technologies
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice or if you would like to communicate with any of our legal or the information security teams, please contact us at [email protected] or
Attn: Legal Department
1801 California Street, Ste. 400
Denver, CO 80202
Ibotta reserves the right to modify this Privacy Notice. We will post any changes to our Privacy Notice on this page. Please check this page regularly to keep up-to-date.